
I've titled this post "A little bit about me" because I was perusing the blogs of other people I know and I always enjoy how much you get to know other people by reading their stuff. It allows you to see sides of them you might not already know about. So I was thinkin' to myself, "What kinds of things define ME?" I'm a mom who loves being a mom...even on those days I say I don't love it, and you can see lots of kiddo pics on my blog so that's covered. I love art and design, so more of that will be appearing; I love my husband, I love to read, I love the outdoors, and I love my spiritual self, too. So the latter is what you're getting today.
I was born into a family that are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm the first one of my immediate family with that distinction, because my parents and brother joined the church a couple of years before I was born. When I look at my son who is about to be baptized when he turns 8 this month, I hope I've prepared him for this moment in his life. I hope I've taught him to choose the right, that he has a Heavenly Father who loves him more than anything he could imagine, and that if he trusts in Him, he will never be disappointed. Also, when I look at him sleeping in his bed at night, with his hair all rumpled, and his skinned knees, and his sweet little face I wonder if I have what it takes to teach him what he needs to become a missionary when he turns 19. My little boy will have the opportunity to completely change people's lives when he knocks on their door one day.....will I have him ready? There are not many things in this life that I can accomplish that will be more important than preparing my children to have testimonies, to serve missions, to be married in the temple, and to be prepared to meet the Lamb of God. Wow....the Lord chose ME to do raise these sweet spirits and I cannot fail!
I chose this picture because it represents one of my favorite stories in the scriptures....the Woman at the Well. There are so many layers to this story in the Bible, and most of all is the great love of the Master. He takes this precious opportunity to talk to this woman, to let her know He knows her heart, and He sees her potential. He gives her the strength to be better, and to redeem herself. She leaves this encounter declaring that she has met the Messiah, and He is real. She leaves this meeting at the well a new woman of faith and courage.
Am I becoming the woman I promised I would be? Am I doing the things He has asked me to do? Am I drawing my strength at the well of the Savior and leaving a better person? I hope so, but I do know some simple truths. I know that the Lord lives, and that He loves me. I know that He knows my name, and reaches out to me on a daily basis to let me know He's there. I may not have seen His hands, but I have felt His peace when I've needed it most. I know that by studying the scriptures, I will find all I need to teach my family. I know that when I am down on my knees asking my Father in Heaven for guidance and direction, I will receive what I ask.
I guess that's it for now.....there's more to come, I'm sure. :)

3 comments:
So fun to read. Geesh Karen you are such a spirtual giant!! Who knew YOU would end up as a seminary teacher. So cool and I bet such a rewarding experiance. I bet you are a cool one too. Haley and Jason are so lucky to have such a great mom. I can't believe J is getting baptised. Crazy!! I hope we can get out there for it!
I like this whole new thing you are doing called POSTING!! It is so fun to see what you guys are up too. Keep it coming!!
Karen you are awesome. I could learn a lot from you and have. I like the fact you are only 10 years older than me. for anyone wondering I am almost 29 LOL sorry Karen. I cant wait to see you all in a couple weeks. I am a little upset the baptism isnt during a week that the A's or the Giants are in town. O h well another reason to come up again. Tell the kids Hi Love you all.
Just got back from an amazing girls camp in Oregon. Have been thinking of you and knowing that you too will soon be going. You were always such a great Aunt. The kids loved when you were old enough to take them places. I seem to remember something about a paddle boat once, but not too clear on it. I loved your testimony and all that you wrote about being a Mom. You are an incredible Mom and Jason and Haley are so lucky to have you (You should have had a few more).j/k Love you tons and can't wait for J's baptism and to see you all.
Post a Comment