Thursday, July 17, 2008

And the item of the day is......THIS!


Today the kids and I went to Lake Solano Park in Vacaville. They found this cool peacock feather in the grass just after we met a daddy peacock, 2 mommies, and their 6 little peacock chickies. They were VERY tame, and got right up close to us, within a few inches, as they were begging for food. We were right next to a feed machine that was like those candy machines that you put a quarter in to get the "stuff", except that it was broken and the peacocks weren't quite understanding that part.
I haven't been to this park in years....I think the last time I went was when Haley was a toddler and the swimming hole was still in the back of the park and I took her there to play in the water. Alas, the swimming hole is all dried up now, and the smaller one has been turned into a children's fishing area. We might have to return one day to try that part out. We saw lots of little "almost" frogs....they had legs and googly eyes, but still had their tails and no front legs yet. There was also a small area off in the actual lake part that you can now swim in, so we all got in and splashed around. Seriously cold water, my friends! Yikes!
We got there too late to rent a paddle boat, and there's a geocache across the lake we want to get, so we're going back tomorrow. Now, my nephews and niece might remember this, but I took them to this same lake one time and we rented one of the paddle boats. There is room for 2 people to pedal, and one adult, or in our case, two small children can sit and ride. My oldest nephew Erik and I were going to be the paddlers, but Erik was too wimpy to handle it so I was doing all the work! Okay, to be fair, he was probably 9 or 10 years old....but he'd probably wimp out no matter what his age! It was a typical Vacaville summer day, probably around 100 degrees, so I didn't last long. I think I threw them all in the water and that was the end of the paddle boat! There's a playground structure there, lots of trees and picnic benches, so I'm sure we finished that day somewhere else, but I distinctly remember the boat.
It was a nice trip down memory lane to be there, as I remember many girl scout outings there, as well as church BBQ's when I was a little kid, then time with my nephews and niece when I was a teenager, and now as an adult, time with my own kids as well. Hopefully tomorrow we'll find the geocache.

1 comment:

Erik and Lisa Harper said...

are you seriously going to call me out on your blog. That is pretty low. I remember all that and the exact time and location.I was only 10 or 11 but I remember it shaking out differently. More like me, in all my studliness paddling everyone else around. Seems my aunt couldn't be the adult and help me that day. Seems to always be the case. Those were fun times. Looks like it still continues with your kids.